The DRC affiliation process connects students with a staff member whom they will work directly with in supporting their individualized educational needs. This ensures that students have a point of contact within our office who may guide them through the interactive process, build self-advocacy, and facilitate the process of requesting accommodations. The affiliation process also provides students with access to the Accommodate platform, in which students can schedule appointments, upload documents, and more.
- Submit the Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) before the deadline. If the student has been admitted to the university and have decided UCSC is for them, submit the SIR (Frosh due May 1st; Transfers due June 1st). The Registrar’s MyUCSC Portal Guide will provide instructions on how to submit. To track the status, visit the student portal.
- Complete the Slug Orientation Courses. This is an excellent opportunity to learn more about the DRC, familiarize themselves with campus resources, learn about their major, get their enrollment appointment, and connect with their Orientation Leader.
- Once the student has completed the Slug Orientation, complete the DRC Welcome Form and make a new student appointment to meet with a DRC coordinator to discuss access needs. Please schedule a housing or ESA appointment, if needed, for housing or ESA specific questions. To schedule an appointment with a DRC coordinator please follow the getting affiliated guide.
- Apply for housing during the applicable housing application period. For disability-related housing accommodations, please review the Housing Office’s Disability Related Housing Accommodations for more information.
- Register and request placement exam accommodations for any needed placement exams. Some departments require a placement exam before enrolling in their courses. If the student needs accommodations for those exams, contact the DRC and the department sponsoring the exam at least 7 business days in advance of the exam date.
- DRC serves students with documented disabilities. Please submit disability documentation to the Accommodate portal at least five days before your appointment. See the documentation guidelines for documentation requirements. In situations where documentation will take time to obtain or is not complete, DRC may provide short term or provisional accommodations pending complete documentation.
New and Continuing Students:
- All students who require accommodations within the housing environment, are encouraged to apply for on-campus housing by the housing application deadline and follow-up with the submission of a Housing Accommodation Request to the DRC. There is no deadline for Housing Accommodation Requests, however, accommodations are based on availability and not guaranteed.
- Emotional Support Animals Requests can be completed on the Housing Accommodation Request Form. Please review the Housing Accommodation Web Page for more information.
- Students with Service Animals are encouraged to affiliate with the DRC but are not required to do so. Please refer to the Service Animal Policy for more information.