Frequently Asked Questions from Affiliated Students

    How do I request services?

  • Please visit our Requesting Services page.

  • Why can't I see my Request Services page?

  • New DRC Students: It takes approximately 24 hours after your appointment to gain access to your "Request Services" page. If you still cannot see your Request Services page after a few days, please contact your DRC service coordinator.

    Continuing Students: If you had provisional accommodations and have not yet submitted documentation, your accommodations expire after a few quarters and you will not be able access to the Request Services page. Please email your DRC service coordinator if this happens. 

  • Why haven't I gotten my AA letters yet?

  • It takes 2-3 business days to receive your AA letters in your email address after you have request services on your myUCSC portal. If it has been longer than 3 business days, please contact us at

  • What do I do if I have an ineffective notetaker?

  • Please contact with the class information and the specific problems you are having with your notetaker. We will work with your notetaker and try to find a solution.

  • What do I do if I don't have a notetaker?

  • Email to let us know that you are still in need of a notetaker. After week 3, please contact your DRC service coordinator to discuss alternatives to notetakers.

  • What do I do if my exams overlap?

  • Please email your DRC service coordinator as well as your professors at least a week before your exams.

  • What do I do if I am late and/or miss my exam?

  • If you are late to an exam, you do not get extra time for the time that you missed unless your professor approves an extension. 

    If you miss your exam, email your DRC service coordinator and your professor. 

  • What if I am having difficulty receiving my accommodations for my class?

  • Contact your DRC service coordinator. They can support you in facilitating access to your accommodations.

  • How can I get a copy of my disability documentation?

  • Please send an email to requesting your documentation.

  • What do I do if I miss a lot of classes because of my disability?

  • Discuss this with your DRC service coordinator.

  • Can I receive accommodations for my pregnancy?

  • Some of the accommodations we can offer include accessible furniture, consideration for breaks in class, and support with navigating campus. Please schedule an appointment with a service coordinator to discuss your unique experiences and to develop an accommodation plan. Contact

  • Why can't I see my Request Services page?

  • Requesting accommodations is not supported on the mobile website, you have to be on a computer. 

  • I would like for my family to know some information that is protected under FERPA. What do I do?

  • To release this information, you would have to fill out a Release Of Information (ROI) form. An ROI form allows a student to grant access of specified information to a specified person(s) for however long the student sets it to be. Access can be granted and removed anytime at a student's request.

  • Having trouble accessing MyUCSC?

  • 1) Clear your browser cache, quit your browser completely and try again. More information on clearing cache

    2) Be sure you are using the right URL: Remove any extra characters that may be stored in your bookmark.

    Still having trouble?

    Call:  831-459-HELP (9-4357)