Personal Care Assistants

  • The University does not pay for or provide Personal Care Assistants, personal services, or individually prescribed devices.  To arrange for services, students often work with the California Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) or the Santa Cruz County Adult Protective Services In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) Program. See the Office for Civil Rights publication “Students with Disabilities Preparing for Postsecondary Education: Know Your Rights and Responsibilities.”

    If you currently receive services from DOR or other state or local agency, it is important to contact them early and work closely with that agency and the local counterpart agency serving Santa Cruz to facilitate a smooth transition with no break in service.

    For information about requesting or receiving services through DOR (such as books, tuition assistance, bus passes, accessible vans, or specialized equipment), please visit

    If you will be requesting financial aid to help pay for personal care assistance, check out the financial aid website or call Financial Aid Office @ (831) 459-2963