Other Accommodations

If your disability affects you in other aspects of your life, the DRC can put additional accommodations in place. While the following list describes more common accommodations, it is not exhaustive. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us.

    Dining Hall Accommodation

  • Students with medical and/or disability-related concerns regarding food and dining access are encouraged to meet with a dining hall manager. Dining hall managers are knowledgeable about the food options available and can recommend which foods will work with specific diets.

    Students whose food access needs are not met by dining hall managers are encouraged to meet with Dining Administration. UCSC Dining works with students to discuss their specific needs and determine how to best address their concerns. Accommodations to dining services may require collaboration between the student, dining staff, and the Disability Resource Center and documentation from a qualified professional to be considered.

    Please refer to the UCSC Dining website for more information.

  • Housing Accommodation Requests

  • If you have a disability that impacts your ability to live in the standard housing environment, you can request a housing accommodation to modify the existing living environment (e.g. an ADA accessible room, debunked bed, visual fire alarm, etc.). For more information about how to request housing accommodations please visit our Housing Accommodation page. 

  • Part-Time Status Enrollment Authorizations

  • If you need a lighter course load for disability-related reasons, the DRC can authorize you for the Undergraduate Part-Time Program. Part-time is 10 units or less. Requests for Part-Time Program must be made by the published deadline, usually within the first three weeks of the quarter. If you receive financial aid, contact the Financial Aid office to inquire how the Part-Time Program may affect you.

  • Referrals

  • In addition to our services, we can refer you to other helpful resources. We can provide referrals to local qualified clinicians who can provide comprehensive testing and evaluation for learning disabilities or ADHD if you suspect you have a learning disability or if your documentation is outdated or incomplete. We can give you information on support groups and disability related organizations in the community. We can also provide referrals to other on-campus resources such as the Career Center, student clubs, the Health Center, Counseling and Psychological Services, Learning Support Services and more.

  • Service Animals

  • UC Santa Cruz has a "no pet" policy. Exceptions are made for service animals as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act/ Fair Housing Act/ FEHA:

    "Service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability.... Examples of work or tasks include, but are not limited to, assisting individuals who are blind or have low vision with navigation and other tasks, alerting individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing to the presence of people or sounds, providing non-violent protection or rescue work, pulling a wheelchair, assisting an individual during a seizure, alerting individuals to the presence of allergens, retrieving items such as medicine or the telephone, providing physical support and assistance with balance and stability to individuals with mobility disabilities, and helping persons with psychiatric and neurological disabilities by preventing or interrupting impulsive or destructive behaviors."

    Requests for emotional support animals (animals that individuals with disabilities utilize for emotional support, well-being, or comfort) are reviewed on a case-by-case basis in housing and employment situations only. Please refer to our Service Animal FAQ page or contact the DRC at (831)459-2089 for more information. 

    University Faculty, Staff or Students may ask two questions of a person with an animal:

    (1) Is the animal required because of a disability?

    (2) What work or task has the animal been trained to perform?

    Generally, staff will not make inquiries about a service animal when it is readily apparent that an animal is trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability (e.g., the dog is observed guiding an individual who is blind, pulling a person's wheelchair, or providing assistance with stability or balance to an individual with an observable mobility disability).

    For the University policy, including definitions, please visit the UC Santa Cruz Service/Support Animal Policy. For further information, please refer to the UCSC ADA website. For further guidance on service animals, visit the U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division

  • Transportation Accommodation Authorizations

  • The DRC can authorize parking and/or Disability Van Service accommodations for those who have a legitimate disability related need for that assistance.

    The Disability Van Service is operated by Transportation and Parking Services (TAPS) and can provide door to door service throughout campus free of charge with authorization from the DRC.

    For those who have DMV handicapped placards or cannot use the Disability Van Service for disability-related reasons, parking authorizations can be obtained from the DRC. If you have a temporary medical condition, you and your doctor can fill out an application for a DMV handicapped placardFor more information on campus policy regarding disability parking, go to Disabled Parking.

    If you use a wheelchair or have problems with stairs or hills, check out the ADA Compliance website to find out more about campus access.