What is the complaint/grievance process?

Informal Complaints

If you have any concerns or feel you have not received a reasonable, requested accommodation from any UCSC faculty or staff member, contact your DRC Service Coordinator as soon as possible. Timeliness is critical in resolving these concerns promptly and effectively. Your Service Coordinator will meet with you to gather information and work to resolve your concerns with everyone involved.

Academic Adjustments

In the case of academic adjustments, if a student has not been able to resolve an issue of academic accommodation with a faculty or staff member, the DRC will determine the accommodation that is appropriate in its view, based on the documentation provided by the student. The DRC will communicate its view of the appropriate accommodation to the faculty or staff member involved. If there are still problems in making the appropriate accommodation available to the student, the DRC will bring the issue to the attention of those with supervisory responsibility over the faculty or staff member involved, in an attempt to reach a resolution. This process shall proceed on an expedited basis, with the goal of reaching a resolution generally within 10 calendar days.

DRC Services

If you have a complaint regarding DRC services or an issue involving your DRC Service Coordinator, and you have addressed these concerns without acceptable resolution, you can meet with the DRC Director to facilitate a resolution. If the Director is your Service Coordinator, you can meet with the Director’s supervisor to resolve your complaint. In any case, you will receive a written response to your complaint within three working days.

Formal Complaints

Dean of Students Office

Students may file a grievance based on alleged violations of university policy or campus regulations regarding student privacy rights; or discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics), genetic information (including family medical history), ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, or service in the uniformed services.  The Dean of Students Office is available to assist students with this process.

Address: Hahn Student Services 245


 Equity and Equal Protection (EEP)

The Equity & Equal Protection Office is responsible for the administration of UCSC’s policies and procedures regarding discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, religion, disability, sex, gender, age and other protected identities and ensuring that members of our community can engage in protected activity free from retaliation. EEP is responsible for the University’s compliance with state and federal laws relating to discrimination to ensure that no member of our community is denied participation in an academic program or employment based upon a protected identity or engaging in protected activity.

Office for Civil Rights 

The mission of the Office for Civil Rights is to ensure equal access to education and to promote educational excellence throughout the nation through vigorous enforcement of civil rights. We serve student populations facing discrimination and the advocates and institutions promoting systemic solutions to civil rights problems. An important responsibility is resolving complaints of discrimination.

How the Office for Civil Rights Handles Complaints

OCR Complaint Forms

Office Locations:

OCR California Office:

San Francisco
Office for Civil Rights

U.S. Department of Education
50 United Nations Plaza 
San Francisco, CA 94102

Telephone: (415) 486-5555
Fax (415) 486-5570
Email: OCR.SanFrancisco@ed.gov


OCR National Headquarters:

U.S. Department of Education
Office for Civil Rights

Lyndon Baines Johnson Department of Education Bldg
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-1100
Telephone: 800-421-3481
Fax: 202-453-6012; TDD: 800-877-8339
Email: OCR@ed.gov

UCSC ADA Compliance Website

For more information about making an ADA-related complaint or filing a formal grievance, please visit the UCSC ADA Compliance website.