Providing Accommodations to Your Students
1. Incorporate this statement into your course website, syllabus, and introductory class announcement to ensure that you receive requests for authorized accommodations in a timely manner.
"UC Santa Cruz is committed to creating an academic environment that supports its diverse student body. If you are a student with a disability who requires accommodations to achieve equal access in this course, please submit your Accommodation Authorization Letter from the Disability Resource Center (DRC) to me privately during my office hours or by appointment, preferably within the first two weeks of the quarter. At this time, I would also like us to discuss ways we can ensure your full participation in the course. I encourage all students who may benefit from learning more about DRC services to contact DRC by phone at 831-459-2089 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org."
2. Be available by appointment or in office hours for students to meet with you, submit their official DRC Accommodation Authorization (AA) Letter, and discuss their accommodations. This allows for a meaningful dialogue about how the student’s disability affects them academically, and how their accommodations can best be implemented, while also ensuring the student’s anonymity.
3. Students who are authorized for notetaking services might ask you to make an announcement in class to recruit a notetaker. Please remember that the student’s affiliation with the DRC is confidential. Any announcement should not reveal the identity of the DRC student requesting the service. When asking for a class notetaker, say that this service has been authorized by the DRC for “a student in the class” without giving the name of the student(s) needing the notes. The following information should be included:
- It is a paid position
- Anyone interested needs to contact the DRC right away to fill out an application
- The DRC hires only one notetaker for each class
- Information regarding the position can be found on the DRC website: email@example.com