Frequently Asked Questions
We assist UCSC to provide equal access to education for students with disabilities.
● support retention and graduation of students with disabilities,
● promote a non-discriminatory campus environment and
● encourage student development and independence.
Accommodations and support are tailored to each student’s disability-related needs. We can provide a variety of services to assist a student in his/her educational experience.
Some commonly used accommodations are:
● Advising and support
● Test accommodations
● Notetaking assistance
● Alternate media (e.g. audio books)
● Housing accommodation recommendations
● Transportation accommodation authorizations
● Sign Language Interpreting and Real-time Captioning
● Part-time status enrollment
● Consideration for special tutoring needs
● Liaison between students and faculty/staff
● LD & ADHD Evaluation referrals
- 1. Submit your documentation by email, in person, or through fax.
2. In 3-5 business days you will receive an email regarding the status of your documentation and instructions for next steps.
3. Attend your new student appointment.
After our office receives documentation sufficient to establish your eligibility for services, you will be invited to schedule a new student appointment with a Service Coordinator to discuss your disability related needs. We make every effort to schedule new student appoinments as soon as possible. New student appointments can be scheduled as soon as next day or as far out as 10 business days; scheduling is dependant on the mutual availability of both you and the coordinators.
Provide us with documentation that verifies your disability. The most useful meets the UC system-wide guidelines for documentation, which you can view on our website.
Be sure to review the guideline(s) appropriate for you:
● Learning disabilities
● Psychological disabilities
● Medical conditions
If you think your academic struggles may be due to an undiagnosed, undocumented condition, please call or walk in to our office to make an Information and Referral Appointment.
Information and referral appointments allow students to be pre-screened in order to receive a referral for testing. Referrals to other offices on campus such as Counseling and Psychological Services may also be made.
● Go to "My Student Center" in your my UCSC account
● Follow instructions to request services
● Check your UCSC e-mail 2-3 business days later for your Accommodation Letters
● Print your letters and talk to your instructors.
If you have had documentation in the past but do not have it with you, your doctor or high school will sometimes have some records available. It would be a good idea to contact them and ask if they can release your documents to our office.
If for any reason you have not heard back from us within 3-5 business days, feel free to give us a call for an update.
If you have a temporary disability that requires transportation accommodations, please contact the Disability Van Service at (831) 459-2829 or the Student Health Center (831) 459-2211 for more information.
For any other questions please contact us.